FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Safety Razors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2013 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

Ahh, right - straight bar then.  Got my durn turminology messed up.

Technically, what you have is a "closed comb"

Merkur isn't the only one who makes slant bar razors, they're just the first to bring them back into style.

Closed comb is your standard razor. It has divots in the comb/bar to help reduce friction (making the razor glide better) and guide hairs to the blade to be cut properly.

Open comb razors have what look like a straight line of teeth where the divots would normally be on the bar. The gaps in the teeth recede all the way from the face of the bar to beyond the leading edge of the blade. This allows the blade to be closer to the skin and the "comb" makes the hairs stand straight just before being cut, giving a closer shave and leading to fewer ingrown hairs as they are cut more level than they would be wit a closed comb razor.

Slant bars are a closed comb where the bar actually pitches on a downward angle from one end of the blade to the other. This pitch and curl provides for a slicing motion through the whiskers giving you an easier shave with less applied pressure. However, it can mean angled cuts on whiskers. If you're prone to in grown hairs, slant bar razors can actually aggravate that problem, though not as bad as multi-blade razors do.

Any and all of these DE safety razors will give you a closer shave with less irritation and fewer issues than any multi-blade cartridge razor.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2013 at 9:11pm
I think this is something I'd be interested in, but I keep a beard and only really shave down my neck once or twice a week.  I can't even imagine being clean shaven anymore.

Edited by procarbinefreak - 14 November 2013 at 9:12pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2013 at 6:07am
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

I think this is something I'd be interested in, but I keep a beard and only really shave down my neck once or twice a week.  I can't even imagine being clean shaven anymore.

That's my situation now. But I still like using the mug, brush, and razor for that bit. Still feels better/less irritation than using a cartridge razor, but then again, I can understand not wanting to shell out the scratch for what is ultimately such a small/quick shave each week.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic